Home
Pensioners Index
Obituary

......Extended .Obituary..- 'J'.......

'J'

JONES, Robert Owen (1909-1944) was born on 12 December 1909 at West Leake Rectory, Loughborough, Leicestershire, and was the son of the Rev. Richard Owen Jones and Clara Jones (nee Eastwood). He was educated at Kingston-on-Soar School between May 1916 and August 1921 and Loughborough Grammar School between 1921 and July 1929. In his final year he was School Captain. He attended the Royal College of Science (Imperial College) through a Royal Scholarship between 1929-32 where he studied chemistry and was awarded a B.Sc. (Hons). In 1931 he was made an Associate of the Royal College of Science and achieved a Diploma of the Imperial College of Science & Technology (Lond) in 1932. He was also an Associate of the Institute of Chemistry. He worked at the Lister Institute of Preventative Medicine from October 1932 until early 1935 when it is thought he started work with Lyons as a Research Chemist (Imperial College list him as Senior Chemist). Robert and Lucina May (nee Fricker-born 28 November 1909) were married in August 1936 at St Mary's Church, Marylebone. There were three children of the marriage; David Jones (8 January 1937), Eric Jones (14 December 1938) and Ruth Jones (20 February 1944). Imperial College list his address as 23 Warbeck Road, Shepherd's Bush, but in April 1939 the family moved to 13 Skelwith Road, Fulham. Robert Jones registered under the National Service (Armed Forces) Act 1939 but, because of his important work on food substitutes, he was exempted from active service. On the night of Wednesday, 23 February 1944, a high explosive bomb landed in Skelwith Road at 23.05 hours, fractured a gas main, and the resulting explosion destroyed the property. Robert Jones and his wife Lucina were killed outright and their three day old daughter, Ruth, died the following day. All three were buried in North Sheen Cemetery on 7 March 1944, grave number Uc 86. A Guard of Honour was formed by the Cadby Hall Home Guard unit and the mourners included the Rev. John Richard Jones (brother 1908-1950), Vicar of St Bartholomew's, Herne Bay; Rees Llewelyn Jones (brother 1913-1968); Clara Elizabeth Jones (sister 1906-1994); the Rev. Vernon Francis (Cousin); Mrs. J. (Lizzie Margaret) Fricker; Mrs. Gilbert Fricker (sister-in-law). The Company representative was Leslie Lampitt, Head of Laboratories and Company Director, and other representatives of the Laboratory staff. In September 1948 a headstone was erected at the grave-site. The two sons (David and Eric) were dug out of the rubble having survived inside a Morrison shelter with Lizzie Margaret Fricker, Lucina's step-mother. Robert Jones' eldest son, David Jones, has provided the greater part of the biographical detail listed here and Imperial College, London, have provided information regarding his education. David Jones became a dentist, married, and had two children. His brother, Eric Jones, never married.


JOSEPH, Bertie (registered at birth as Isaiah) was born in west London in 1886 and left school at the age of 14 years. Soon afterwards he began a long association with the company. Bertie was the son of Abraham Joseph (a Merchant Shipper) who had married Sarah Gluckstein in 1885. In 1901 the family were living in Hampstead with Bertie's uncle, Coleman Joseph who had married another Gluckstein daughter, Clara. Bertie's 'apprenticeship' started soon after 1901 and he worked both day and night in the various Lyons departments then existing. His first charge was the Throgmorton Restaurant and in due course he was given the responsibility of the Outdoor Catering, including the Olympia and Strand Corner House. He was in charge of the Lyons' School for Nippy's, Waiters and Service Dispensers and directed a training film which he called 'Noona be Nippy'.
He married Marjorie Mitchell in 1912 and they had three daughters. Marjorie died in 1923 and Bertie remarried a widow, Winifred Samuel, whose husband had died in a flying accident. There was no issue from this marriage.
Among the great achievements with which his name is associated were the Dublin Exhibition of 1905, Lord Strathcona's Banquet in 1906 for 2,400 guests at Aberdeen, the Daily Mail Luncheon for 7,000 at Olympia in 1921 and the largest banquet the Company ever undertook the Masonic Memorial Fund Luncheon, also at Olympia, in 1925 when 7,250 brethren were catered for. Bertie Joseph was also responsible for the Royal Garden Parties at Buckingham Palace. He was also in charge of the catering at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships, the Chelsea Flower Show and innumerable other events at historic places such as Windsor Castle, St James's Palace, the Guildhall, the Mansion House and the halls of the various City Livery Companies. Bertie Joseph always regarded with particular pride the Garden Party given by Cable & Wireless Ltd in 1922 at the Royal Botanical Gardens when 7,000 guests were served with dinner and supper, and 5,000 were entertained with a firework display, a superb concert and refreshments.
Such heavy responsibilities did not prevent a generous devotion to public service. Bertie was a life Governor of St Bartholomew's Hospital, and at Westminster Hospital was, for many years, a Governor, a member of the House Committee and, perhaps inevitably, advisor on catering.
In his younger days he played for the Lyons Club first XI at cricket and when he was posted to Liverpool was elected the captain of their cricket XI. For some time he was Chairman of the Lyons Club Revue Section where his flair for organising proved invaluable. He left a widow and family.